My blog about knitting, teaching, and being a mother to two energetic young boys.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Out of the Mouth of Babes...

From my youngest this morning: "Happy Birthday, Mom! How old are you?" When I told him, he said, "Man, you're old...". Yup - better old than dead! :0) Not over the hill, yet - but I can sure see the summit! :0)

On this day many, many, years ago:

1) Richard Nixon was President of the United States

2) Mini Skirts & Bell-bottoms were in fashion.

3) "Mama Told Me (Not To Come)" by Three Dog Night was on top of the billboard charts

4) Gasoline cost .36 per gallon (not sure in which city...)

5) According to HistoryOrb.com, in 1040 - Lady Godiva rides naked on horseback to force her husband, the Earl of Mercia, to lower taxes. Let's hear it for strong women! :0)

The following celebrities & I share the same birthday:

DH is out of town, so we had a mini-celebration and early presents (cute dress) last week. The boys gave me a Starbucks gift card (feeding my addiction), but probably what I'm most excited about is this:

Before:
After:
A new insulated garage door! Fancy windows (although the jury is out as to whether or not I should call the company and ask to have 2 more installed. What do you think? The angle of the garage frame doesn't cut of the corners as much as we thought they might, but my dad thinks adding additional windows will cause a greater gap near the brush border.) - Supposedly this new fangled garage will increase our energy efficiency (R-value of old garage door: maybe 3 - 4. R-value of new door: probably 12!) Whoot!!! The increased energy value and the fact the entire house won't shudder as the door opens & closes is exciting indeed.

Tonight's plans include a BBQ at my dear friend (BKFF - Best Knitting Friend Forever), Winston's Mom. Since the kids aren't at the age where cooking is really an option, having great friends willing to do something special is great. I'm certainly lucky!

On the knitting front, Ishbel is not yet done, but I'm ready to move into chart C. To be honest, knitting charts A & B multiple times has lost it's charm. I'm ready for something 'new'. Hopefully I'll have a FO to share soon.

Until then - happy knitting! Ciao~

4 comments:

Holly Jo said...

Happy, happy birthday!!!! Did you EVER think you would be excited about a garage door? :) It looks fantastic and for what is worth I vote no more windows. :)

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Happy birthday!

I'm afraid Chart C isn't much different than charts A & B...

AfternoonMoon said...

Happy Birthday.

Wow, nice to live in Anchorage. They dont recommend windows here in Fairbanks for R-rating, so I would tell you to be happy with the windows you have (lucky girl)

Anonymous said...

I like the six windows just fine. Even if they wouldn't actually be cut off, it may look like they would from the outside...don't know if that makes a difference. Glad you liked your b-day dinner!