My blog about knitting, teaching, and being a mother to two energetic young boys.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Say It Isn't So

The phone rang again early this morning - schools are closed for the 3rd day in a row. This is unprecedented. Just crazy! So what started on the calendar as a 3-day weekend in honor of MLK Jr., has turned into a 6-day weekend. Just bizarre!

I really wanted/needed to head back to work. By the time school resumes next Tuesday (I'm assuming this warm spell & ice/treacherous roads & parking lots will be dealt with by then) it'll have been a week since I've seen my 3rd & 6th hour classes! We're on a modified block schedule, so I normally don't meet w/3rd & 6th hour on Tuesdays. What's the chance they'll remember the topics we were discussing last week? One week behind in content - that's just swell... Also - we had an Elementary Science Day scheduled for today - that's now a no-go. I suppose I have to head into work so I can put away all of the materials we pulled out in preparation. Fantastic... Not to mention that now we have to make-up this day, bleh.

So - more knitting on tap for today. I am happy for this added knitting time. I need to rework the short-row heel on the Leyburn sock - I wasn't happy with it last night. I also haven't worked on the Feb. Lady Sweater or the Wonderful Wallaby, perhaps I'll pick those up for a spell today.

School closures wreak havoc on working families. They have to scramble to find childcare at the last moment. It is frustrating that education is often synonymous with free child-care, but I do sympathize with families who have to make last minute arrangements for their children. Yet another advantage of being a two-teacher family. We're having our neighbor's 9-year old son over for the 2nd day in a row. 3 boys running around inside is quite loud, as you might guess. They do go outside for a bit, but it doesn't take long before they are sopping wet from the water cascading down our driveway and the streets. Perhaps we'll venture out to a movie.

Hotel For Dogs or Mall Cop? Geez - the choices are overwhelming.

Have a great weekend! Also - if you have the opportunity, please remember the spirit of MLK Jr. & find a way to contribute to your community. We're planning to go to the Food Bank of Alaska for a bit on Monday. If you need some inspiration, go here.

Happy Knitting!

3 comments:

AfternoonMoon said...

I am so jealous!
Fairbanks had school today, even though the roads are scary slick and the "Pineapple Express" brought us up to 44F.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I think we have days to make up at the end of the year down here, too. Several. At least you have projects to amuse you and distract you from boy chaos!

Monday I'm going to an MLK Workday/Remembrance event for the Backpack Program here. The program packs weekend lunches for kids who get school lunch during the week. It's a small program so far but growing as grants come in. I'm playing the guitar and singing at the program! Yikey.

LisaW. said...

i feel your pain. it was awful in my neighborhood for more than 2 days. cross road glaciation and windy up/downhill roads were scary bad. more than 10 cars in ditches or accidents on my road. i'm glad the kids didn't have to go in, but it sucks about the makeup work and getting them caught back up. great scarves by the way!