My blog about knitting, teaching, and being a mother to two energetic young boys.

Monday, May 7, 2007

Signs of Life....

Yup - snow is gone! Hooray!! This blog is depicting the 'signs of life' around my home here in Anchorage...

I call this one "The Moose Caboose" - local resident in downtown Anchorage neighborhood.

Having lunch....
Okay... I did 'stalk' this moose in order to get a good shot. He (I know - his antlers were starting to grow), was moseying down an alley when I saw him. Fortunately, I had my camera available, so I just drove slowly behind him until I could get a good shot. However - as he made the right turn onto another street, the owner of this house came out onto her porch - I think she had to go in and change her pants soon after. Nothing can cause a skip in the ol' ticker like having a 1500 lb ungulate standing less than 4 feet from you.



These photos are of my eldest son, OW, and the signs of life he found near the creek behind our house. He's holding 'beaver chips' in the upper photo. Check out the tree below!! OW was impressed by the number of beaver chips!

Does this yard look familar? See - if you look closely enough, you can actually see green grass! A sure sign of spring! Perhaps a little lime on the yard can help this out a bit...



Even my garden is cooperating!! This is a photo of the chives springing up - hardy plants these are!!



My Alaska Iris' - I put them in the bed last summer - I should see some blooms this year.

And you thought I hadn't been knitting... The first sock of a pair for my youngest, IJ - the Waffle Rib II pattern from the Sensational Knitted Socks book. I'm using the magic loop method here. I'm not too crazy about how the heel turned out - the stitch pattern ends with purl all stitches for two rows & ends up making a ridge near the heel flap. Perhaps this won't be an issue when his foot is actually in the sock & the yarn stretches out. We'll see - I have to finish these by his 5th birthday on May 23...


The purple socks live on. I'm just about finished with these - they should have been my April Socks for the Sock of the Month KAL, but alas, KADD took hold - I started other socks & got busy w/events at school. Of course, knowing that I would run out of yarn before I finished didn't help me stay focused. I purchased more yarn (same dye lot - hooray) this weekend, so hopefully I'll finish these soon - just 4 more repeats on the foot & then the toe to go... In case you're wondering, the socks are sitting on a Birch Burl Table my dad made this past fall - very beautiful! He's sooooo talented.

Yup - another beginning of a pair of socks to prevent me from even finishing one pair. These are the Embossed Leaves socks from the Favorite Socks book by Interweave press. Again - I didn't totally follow directions - I used the Magic Loop method & did not cut the yarn & rejoin as it states in the pattern - I mean, WHY would you cut yarn if you don't really have to?

Ciao!! Did I mention less than 3 weeks to go until our school year is over?!?

No comments: